Table of Content
- 1.What are Office 365 Add-ins?
- 2.Why should I use Office add-ins?
- 3.How are Office Add-ins different from COM and VSTO add-ins?
- 4.How do MS Office 365 Add-ins simplify daily routine?
- 5. The most significant modifications in Office 365 Add-ins for 2023
- 6.Pros and Cons of Office 365 Add-ins
What are Office 365 Add-ins?
Office 365 Add-ins allow you to enhance the capabilities of Office platforms such as Outlook, MS Word, Excel, and others. They enable the integration of Office programs with third-party applications such as CRM systems, email marketing systems, planning systems, or others that operate with emails, contacts, or calendar events.
These Add-ins can work as an All-in-one solution to enhance your internal operations and can be customized consequently to supercharge your business productivity.
For example, some plug-ins are utilized to quickly search for their key terms and filter them to acquire desired results while other plugins can provide you with a variety of customized templates, emojis, and unique data tables to utilize in the file fitting exactly to industry rules.
Check out the graph below to see the yearly usage statistics of Office Addin platforms, which will help you understand the importance of Office 365 Add-ins development in the business.
Why should I use Office add-ins?
To complete your paperwork and associated chores precisely in less time, Office Add-ins are the best options to go with. These extensions can be used with a variety of Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote. This means that you can use Office Add-ins to enhance the functionality of these applications and make your work more efficient and effective. For example, you can use an add-in to quickly access and share files from a cloud storage service within Word or Excel or use an add-in to visualize data in new and meaningful ways within PowerPoint.
You can also use Office Add-ins to automate repetitive tasks, such as generating reports or sending emails, which can save you time and effort. Overall, Office Add-ins can be used in a wide range of contexts to help you get more out of your Office applications and make your work more efficient and effective.
Add new functionality to Office clients: bring external data into Office, automate Office documents, expose Microsoft and other features in Office clients, and more. For example, use the Microsoft Graph API to connect to the data, increasing productivity.
Create new rich interactive objects to embed in Office documents: Embed interactive maps, charts, and visualizations that users can add to their own Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations.
How are Office Add-ins different from COM and VSTO add-ins?
COM Add-ins are traditional Microsoft Office add-ins that are developed using languages such as C++ or VB.NET and require a more complex development and deployment process. They are more powerful than Office Add-ins, but also require more resources to run and are more difficult to develop and maintain.
VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office) Add-ins are similar to COM Add-ins, but are developed using the Visual Studio development environment and the .NET framework. They offer the same level of power and functionality as COM Add-ins, but use a more modern development environment and are easier to develop and deploy than COM Add-ins.
How do MS Office 365 Add-ins simplify daily routine?
Microsoft Office 365 Add-ins are small programs that may be installed to Office 365 apps to give extra functionality and features. Depending on the specific add-ins utilized, they can assist employees to streamline their normal job in a variety of ways. Examples of how Office 365 Add-ins might help include:
- Automating repetitive tasks: Add-ins can be used for repetitive task automation which includes sending emails or generating reports, and so on to save employees time and effort.
- Improving productivity: Add-ins can enhance Office app functionality and help staff operate more productively. For example, an add-in that allows users to effortlessly access and share files from a cloud storage service can save time that would otherwise be spent seeking for the correct file or transferring it back and forth.
- Streamlining communication: Add-ins that allow for real-time collaboration, such as shared calendars and document editing, can help employees communicate and work together more effectively.
- Enhancing data analysis: Add-ins that give advanced data analysis and visualization capabilities can help employees make better-informed decisions by giving them greater insights into their data.
Considering the above details, we can say Office 365 Add-ins can help employees simplify their routine work by providing them with additional tools and features that can improve their productivity and efficiency.
The most significant modifications in Office 365 Add-ins for 2023
In general, the Office Add-ins platform has seen a number of improvements and new features in the past few years, including:
Improved support for modern web technologies such as TypeScript, ES6, and Webpack.
The ability to build Add-ins that work across multiple Office applications and platforms, including Windows, Mac, iOS, and the web.
Latest tools support
Improved tools and documentation for building, testing, and deploying Add-ins. New tools make Microsoft Office add-in creation easier. All of these help with enhanced functionality, efficiency enhancements, and a simplified deployment workflow.
Read More: A Tutorial for Excel-Add Ins Development
Here are some other significant modifications to check:
Event-based activation in Outlook
Add-ins traditionally require pressing buttons on the ribbon or a menu to activate functionality. However, developers can now enable event-based features in Outlook. For example, events resembling the beginning of a replacement message, making an appointment, or adding an attachment will function as triggers. This creates an opportunity for a variety of productivity improvements for Outlook users.
PowerPoint is getting a richer API that offers a number of new possibilities for developers. Perhaps most notable is the automation of both the design and presentation of PowerPoint documents. In the future, Microsoft Office add-ins could help you create and deliver more engaging and effective presentations.
There are several UI improvements that allow developers to create stunning features using the native Office interface. Specifically, Microsoft Office add-ins can now use contextual ribbon functionality. This means you can create ribbon buttons when certain trigger conditions are met, which helps organize your interfaces better.
Better plugin deployment
Org admins get more tools for plugin deployment. This includes automatically deploying plugins to your users to ensure the right users have the right software. You'll also get a revamped experience in the admin center.
Pros and Cons of Office 365 Add-ins
Advantages of Office Add-ins:
Office add-ins have the following advantages over VBA, COM, or VSTO add-ins.
- Support for several platforms. Office add-ins are compatible with the following operating systems. Windows, Mac, and iPad are all supported.
- Installation is simple.
- Install just once per mailbox, not once every machine/client.
- One-time coding, numerous clients
- Distribution and deployment are centralized. Administrators in a company can centrally deploy Office Add-ins.
- AppSource provides simple access. You may reach a large audience by submitting your solution to AppSource.
- Based on common web technologies. To construct Office Add-ins, you may use any library.
Disadvantages of Office Add-ins:
Using add-ins can increase the complexity of the Office software, as there may be additional menus and options to navigate. This can make it more difficult for some users to learn and use the software. Some other disadvantages include:
- The user interface is somewhat constrained.
- Works just with email and calendar entries (no contacts or tasks).
- Only responds to clicks (i.e., not proactive, cannot react to events).
- Office add-ins may not be compatible with all versions of the Office software.
- Adding additional features to Office through add-ins can potentially slow down the software and make it less responsive.
- Add-ins may introduce vulnerabilities to the Office software if they are not properly secured. It is important to only install add-ins from trusted sources.
- Some add-ins may be available for purchase, which can add to the overall cost of using Office.
Office 365 add-ins serve as an all-in-one solution for Microsoft Office platforms, enhancing the capabilities of Office apps such as Outlook, MS Word, Excel, and others. They make it possible to integrate Office products with third-party apps, which simplifies company processes. When customized, these plugins may significantly increase the efficacy and productivity of your business. This blog has discussed the significance of Office 365 platforms, the need for adopting them, and how they might aid in the simplification of ordinary business tasks.